Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Home Video Attack

7-22-14 Tuesday


All I remember from last night's dream is the very end.

I'm watching a movie with my parents. I'm viewing the film the way you would expect, but they are taking turns peering through a kind of set of two microscopes to watch the film. I can see colors and light from their movie down where the specimen tray would be on a normal microscope.


About three-quarters of the way through the film, it abruptly cuts out, turning to black. A ring appears, changing in color and intensity. My parents eagerly take turns with the microscope device took examine the psychedelic imagery."What is that?" someone says.


"It's... Beyer."  The ring morphs slowly into a close-up image of an eye. The camera investigating the eye zooms out to reveal the smiling face of Beyer.


My parents and I watch the home video of Beyer and her family at Christmastime. The only noise is a song that the video has been set to. My mother sings along at some points, her voice wavering with tears.


As I watch, I wonder if it will return to the movie we were watching and I wonder if my mother will start crying at the thought of Beyer and Joyer, the latter of whom has passed away. Joyer hasn't shown up in the home movie yet. He's probably the one shooting the footage, I think to myself.



When I was trying to remember my dreams, jotting down notes first thing in the morning when I did remember, and blogging regularly about them.... my dreams changed.  I don't know that the content necessarily changed.  Instead, the vividness and realism of the dreams intensified.  

I've stopped journalling since winter, and things have gone back to normal.  But during that period of intensity, I had a few instances of what I later learned are called hypnagogic hallucinations.  I would dream that the doorbell would ring while I was lying in bed or that I was having a conversation with my husband.  They were short, but so realistic that I couldn't distiguish them from reality.  Having to ask my husband whether something actually happened or not was bizarre and frightening.

I really do think that these strange events correlate to journalling my dreams.  

No comments:

Post a Comment