Saturday, September 28, 2013

Nightmares & Recurring Dreams

I have been having some awful nightmares lately.  They’ve been seriously dark.

I just now woke up from a dream about drugs and prostitution with Jett that makes the movie “Requiem for a Dream” seem mild.  That dream was followed by one in which I lived in a haunted house where my entire fictional family (and 2 fictional pet dogs) all killed themselves, one by one.  And during a nap yesterday, I had a terrifying dream that was straight out of a slasher flick that sees the demise of two families.

I usually don’t have too many nightmares.  The increase in nightmares isn’t the only change, either.  I’ve been talking a great deal more in my sleep, and I’m having some eerily realistic dreams that I can’t tell apart from reality.

I don’t want to remember the nightmares.  Last night’s was particularly gruesome. I want to pretend like it was never in my head.

Tuesday night - Revenge Love
For some reason Tuesday night’s dream was completely from the show “Revenge.”   When I wrote down my dream notes it had been a day since the dream, so I didn’t remember much.
Emily & Nolan

Again, I was Emily Thorne, the show’s protagonist.  During one of the big Hampton’s suares soirées, Nolan Ross, Emily’s best friend and confidant, dies tragically.  As Emily, I’m extremely distraught over this loss.  As they are carrying him away, my extreme emotional state and the love in my heart reanimate what is left of Nolan.  His bare skeleton is walking towards me, arms outstretched.  Upon embrace, he is whole again.  Then the dream ends with the two of us in the middle of the foyer floor, making out in front of the entire party.

Wednesday nap - TTerrible Tower & Tooth Decay
Both of my dreams from the nap I took on Wednesday are versions of recurring dreams I have.I hear the dream about your teeth falling out is a very common dream that symbolizes lack of control.  Who knows.

In this dream I’ve once again assumed the identity of the Charmed ones.  The three of us are running up a slight hill in a upper-middle class suburban neighborhood.  When I look back, I see our white 2-story like a beacon.  All of the lights are on inside and it stands out in front of the pitch dark sky.  We’re running from Cole (a Charmed character), who is still inside the house.

The sisters ask me to create a diversion and slow down our pursuer.  With great concentration and outstretched hands, I raise my palms to the black sky and summon forth a menacing thunderhead.  Thunder rolls and lightning strikes, but I am careful not to damage our home.

We are running towards a tall, dark and rusty tower.  Everything from the exterior on in is made of rusted metal.  Once inside, you can see that the tower is layer upon layer of staircases and landings.  It is similar to a fire escape on the side of a building, but in more of a quadrilateral pattern.  We hurriedly ascend the rows of staircases. 

Several flights up, we see Cole enter the tower beneath us.  We quicken our pace as he ascends the stairs after us.  As we scramble up the rusty stairs, a blue mist appears from out of no where and completely engulfs us.  In a matter of seconds, we’ve been transported to the very top of the tower into a room.  The scene looks like a recreation of a gift shop that you’d find in the mind of an extraterrestrial who is criminally insane.  I can’t recall any specifics, just that the merchandise was seriously bizarre.

From a flat screen TV on the right wall, a face (of sorts) begins riddling us with questions.  The face is comprised of four different squares, the top two reflecting the bottom two.  We never see the eyes, just creepy distorted reflections of the nose and mouth.  The questions that are being asked of us are equally as bizarre as the rest of the scene, and are asked in a very vehement manner.  It is incredibly important to this face that we answer the questions, but we know none of the answers and can only give it our confusion.

As I am looking around at the demented knick-knacks all around us, I realize that the questions are being asked by a lady behind the cashier counter.  Her back is turned as she is facing the wall.  She comes to realize, after bombarding us with questions, that she has plucked us up at the incorrect point in our timeline.  We do not yet know the answers, but we will.  We are not yet ready to be asked.

The dream ends, and I am spit into another dream reality.
I’m now in my actual neighborhood, walking alone down the main road.  I’m heading towards the entrance of the subdivision.  It is still night out.  I am preoccupied, however, as my back molars seem to be crumbling.  With a slight poke from my tongue, my molars continue to crumble.  In my hand are several nearly-whole teeth and an abundance of tooth bits.  As my molars continue to crumble, I spit out bloody clusters of tooth shards onto the street.


I stick my forefinger into my mouth to assess the damage, and feel the jagged remains of my molars.  They are mostly gone, except for a few pointy sections that remain from the teeth splintering.  My roaming finger brushes upon a soft, circular, fleshy mound in the middle of some tooth shards, and my mouth is racked by pain.  The squishy protuberance is a raw nerve.

The dream becomes very slightly lucid, and I can suddenly remember something like this happening to me before.  I start to think that maybe the teeth grow back, if I can remember going through this.  I need to research this hypothesis, so I head back to my house.


When I return home, I find several people standing in my open doorway and windows.  I am not alarmed at their presence.  I’m just frustrated that they have the windows open without screens in them and the door standing wide open to let the A/C out.

No comments:

Post a Comment